Sunday, November 15, 2009

Texas Two Step

When I tried to explain "two stepping" to someone in California this summer, I think my description was less than perfect. They responded with, "oh, that's like a line dance right? You do it in barns?" Not quite. So let's see if I can explain it better here.

The two step that couples dance at bars and weddings these days is more like the 1950's foxtrot than a line dance. It's simple enough to pick up, as long as you remember "quick, quick, slow" and then listen for that rhythm in the music. It is most commonly danced to country music, and once you learn the basic steps there are more advanced spins and partnering tricks that you can do, like my favorite, the pretzel.

I'm not by any means a great two stepper, but it's fun to do when you're out with friends, and not as intimate as other styles of dance. I first learned how to two step from my dad, who taught me at a wedding. He and my mom took a ballroom dancing class (per my mom's request) when they were in college together at the University of North Texas, and now they can show off their moves whenever country songs come on.

To learn how to two step here in Austin, you can take lessons at various places, including Austin Uptown Dance, Go Dance, or free intro classes with UT's Longhorn Country Dance Club.

Some great places to practice your two stepping or show off your skills are the Broken Spoke, a dance hall on South Lamar; Dallas Nightclub, one of my personal favorites in North Austin; Nutty Brown Cafe, which often features live country artists in their outside venue; Hill's Cafe, which also features live country music and free concerts during the summer; and Midnight Rodeo, a club that plays a combination of hip hop and country music and hosts "college night" every Thursday.

So dust off your boots and grab a beer- the two step is one of Texas' finest traditions and can be enjoyed at any skill level.

No comments:

Post a Comment