Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Salsa Dancing in Austin

As a follow up to my previous blog, I thought I'd write about another style of dance that is also very prevalent in Austin- Salsa. Although I prefer two stepping (because it's much easier, in my opinion) my older sister Karen is quite the Salsa enthusiast. She loves to go out and dance in Austin, and whenever she gets the chance to drag me along, I end up having an awesome time.

We first took Merengue lessons on a trip to the Dominican Republic when I was a senior in high school, and when we got back Karen continued learning other Latin American dance styles including Bachata, Cumbia, and of course Salsa. (I still love Merengue because the music is amazing and it reminds me of the time we spent in the Caribbean.) She and her friends have taught me most of what I know about Salsa, but I'd like to take lessons to get better and be more confident when we go downtown.

I recently interviewed some members of Longhorn Salsa, an organization that provides free dance lessons to UT students. The video below shows students at a salsa lesson in the Texas Union building.



Some great places to go salsa dancing here in Austin are Copa, Cuba Libre, and Maria Maria.

No comments:

Post a Comment