Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Legend of the Bluebonnet

I don't know if other states have this type of store, but in just about every mall in Texas, you can find a gift store dedicated to all the Texas paraphernalia you could possibly want. (And things that a lot of people probably don't want- think airport gift shop times 100.) These stores can be hilariously tacky, and are usually over the top with their products, but the other day I found myself browsing through The Texas Store (original name, no?) in Austin's Barton Creek Mall.

While perusing the aisles for an appropriate gag-gift for a friend's upcoming birthday, I saw a book from my childhood that I had all but forgotten. The book is titled "The Legend of the Bluebonnet" by Tomie de Paola, and my sister and I had it read to us numerous times in school and at home. The story is about a young Native American girl who has to sacrifice her most prized possession, a doll with beautiful blue feathers on her head, to the gods during a great drought. She is very sad, but lovingly throws her doll into the fire, then spreads the ashes in the wind. When she wakes up the next day, there are beautiful blue wildflowers across the hills as a promise for rain and good times to come.



I'm not sure if the legend is true or not, but I do know that the bluebonnet is a highly recognizable symbol for the state of Texas. It has been the state flower since 1901, and many families (including mine when I was younger) take their children and dogs out to fields of bluebonnets in the spring and summer to take family photos in the beautiful wildflowers. There is even an entire festival devoted to the state flower in Chappell Hill, Texas every spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment